Active Birth Yoga
Yogababy has been offering active birth yoga classes since 2003. We have helped thousands of women during their pregnancy to prepare for their birth experience with practical birthing skills & knowledge about the normal birth process.
These antenatal classes aim is to teach you the skills involved in achieving a physiological birth. Learn to keep calm; to respond creatively; to reduce fear and the experience of pain; & increase your focus and confidence for a natural birth.
An Active Birth is a physiological birth which promotes the long term health of both mother and baby. By participating in our classes you are part of a global movement empowering women to choose how and where they give birth. Read the Active Birth Manifesto.
- Mondays 5.45pm-7.00pm Auchenflower
- Tuesdays 5.15pm - 6.30pm West End
When do I Start ?
- Start at any stage in your pregnancy (recommended from 24 weeks onwards)
- Cover all the active birth skills over 8 weeks. As the classes cycle round every eight weeks you can start anytime.
- Over 32 weeks? Even just a few classes will guide you towards a more confident and empowering birth experience.
Active birth skills covered over a 8 week cycle
- Relaxation & Mindfulness
- Releasing fears & Affirmations
- Optimal baby positioning
- Visualisation in pregnancy & labour
- Breathing for pregnancy, labour & birth
- Vocalisation in labour & birth
- Labour : first stage using active birth positions
- Birth: second stage using upright birth positions
- Practice yoga postures to strengthen and relax you in preparation for birth
- Practice evidence based birth skills that ease labour - imagine if you knew how to relax in any position so your muscles moved smoothly without resistance
- Active birth skills education and discussion facilitated by childbirth and yoga educators
- Follow-up emails with the birth skills learnt in class and additional handouts to read and share with your partner/support team
- Moral and physical support from other women also preparing for a physiological birth
Payment options - you can attend either Active Birth Yoga & Pregnancy Yoga with these passes
- $108 for 4 class pass (4 week expiry) Active Birth Yoga & Pregnancy Yoga
- $210 for 8 class pass (10 week expiry )*Active Birth Yoga & Pregnancy Yoga
- $155 Monthly Unlimited (Active Birth Yoga & Pregnancy Yoga)
Cancel & reschedule classes - you cancel up to 2 hours before class and reschedule within your expiry period
* Any unused classes after your baby's birth date can be used in Mums & Bubs Yoga classes. Please notify us when your baby is born.
Email us to arrange a class pass that suits your pregnancy
What about my Partner's involvement?
Our experience has shown that an active birth includes the participation of the birthing woman's partner. As well as booking into the Active Birth Yoga classes for you, it is recommended that your birthing partner attend an Active Birth Workshop or 3hr Private Session.
SAVE with a 10% discount
Try our Active Birth or Private Session bundles with 10% DISCOUNT (includes 8 class pass + a full day workshop or 3hr private session with your birth partner) * Any unused classes after your baby's birth date can be used in Mums & Bubs Yoga classes. Please notify us when your baby is born.
Active Birth yoga classes are gentle, safe and beneficial for you and your growing baby. Along with practising pre natal yoga and breathing exercises that prepare you for birth, these classes explore topics that will increase your potential of achieving a natural and empowering birth. You will practise classical Pregnancy yoga sequences throughout each class. An active birth workbook to accompany the classes for home practice is available to purchase at your first class.
"Active Birth is nothing new. Strong intention, relaxed body and an open mind are the main ingredients for an Active Birth." - Janet Balaskas (founder of Active Birth Movement.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN A CLASS ?
As well as exploring Active Birth Skills such as Breathing in Labour, you will be moving in the class, releasing tension from your pelvis and strengthening your buttocks & legs. You will be practicing yoga postures that are relevant to birth like standing, squatting, lunging, all fours and resting postures. Mindfulness and relaxation techniques are included in every class. There is clear evidence that using upright positions in the first stage of labour reduces the duration of labour, the risk of caesarean birth and the need for an epidural.
The classes are primarily for you to learn the skills involved in birthing your baby naturally. Learn active birth skills and keep healthy by learning mind-body techniques to keep calm, respond creatively, reduce fear and the experience of pain, increase focus and confidence.
Learn the difference between “Mindful Acceptance” & “Distracted and Distraught”
In 2017, researchers in Australia did face-to-face interviews and written surveys to understand how people’s state of mind related to how they experienced labour pain. They discovered that there were two distinct states of mind that women might experience during labor. One was called mindful acceptance. This meant that a woman was focused on staying in the present moment. She might say something like, “When a contraction would pass I wasn’t worrying about the next one,” or “I lost sense of time.” The other potential state of mind was being distracted and distraught. This state of mind was linked to higher levels of pain. Examples of this might be, “I was looking at the clock and it felt like every minute was an hour,” or “I was dreading the next contraction,” or “I was distracted by the people in the room.”
You can start the active birth yoga course at any stage in your pregnancy. It is recommended to commence the cycle in the later part of your 2nd trimester. However, you can commence at anytime. Even just a few classes will guide you towards a more confident and empowering birth experience. Depending on availability, you can start mid-way through a course and/or finish up when your baby is due.