Active birth workshop - Antenatal education
Our Active birth workshops are led by advanced childbirth educator and senior yoga teacher, Suzanne Swan. Suzanne has been doing this work for over sixteen years and her experience affirms that having the partner involved in the birth process, working hands on as a team with the mother, promotes a positive birth experience and enhances family bonding.
This small group education education class explores practical ways to assist the labouring woman at birth. The attention is on the partner's participation during the labour and how the birth itself is as much a team effort as the conception. It covers practical mind-body techniques not taught in other hospital classes (ie. breathing, massage and birth positions) and focuses on an undisturbed physiological birth, describing the benefits of an active birth for the mother & baby.
This workshop complements hospital antenatal classes or other classes such as Calmbirth/Hypnobirth, and is also an excellent refresher for parents. There is clear evidence that using upright positions in the first stage of labour reduces the duration of labour, the risk of ceasarean birth and the need for an epidural.
"Birthing is both an internal and a learned experience. Women benefit greatly in birth with this self-knowledge and with a partner and/or support team* who help her work with her body. When a woman experiences the love, attention and touch of her partner during labour she will easily relax and these feelings are passed to the baby." - Suzanne Swan, yogababy founder.
During the workshop, we practise:
- Natural forms of pain relief such as breath, touch, massage, water, heat, movement, and sound
- Breathing skills to release inner tension and stay focused
- Relaxation skills to enhance the natural hormones of labour
- Massage techniques to ease pregnancy discomforts and enhance labour
- Use of movement to reduce the effect of stress
- Use of sound to connect with a woman's strength and power
- Active birth positioning for 1st and 2nd stage
- Releasing fears and creating positive birth affirmations
- Understanding the birth process and what to expect
- Decision making model for dealing with the unexpected
Sundays 9am - 4pm @ Auchenflower
- 18th June
- 16th July (nearly full!)
- 23rd July
- 20th Aug
- 17th Sept
- 22nd Oct
- 19th Nov
- 17th Dec
Cost: $330 per couple*
Enrolment is limited to 8 couples, please register early to secure a space. When you have booked please complete the online registration form.
Active Birth Bundle: Attend 8 weekly active birth yoga classes + Workshop for $495
You can attend a weekly Active birth yoga class covering the Active Birth Skills (Relaxation, Affirmations, Optimally Positioning Baby, Visualisation, Breathing, Vocalisation & 1st/2nd Stage Birthing positions) that you practice with your partner in the workshop. The yoga classes give you more practice and in-depth study of the Active Birth Skills.
For information about the difference between our Active Birth Workshop and other courses, see our Workshop comparison.
To increase the potential of achieving an active birth it is recommended that the pregnant mother also attend as many of the Active Birth Yoga classes towards the end of her pregnancy to practise the birth skills presented in this workshop.
Your couple/partner/support team can include:
- Birthing mother and father
- Same-sex couples
- Single mother with support person/doula
- Mother and daughter (birthing)
- Birthing mother, father and support person/doula (additional $50 for third person)