Active Birth yoga
Active Birth yoga classes are gentle, safe and beneficial for you and your growing baby. Classes are taught by Suzanne Swan, Senior Yoga teacher & Advanced Childbirth Educator, founder of yogababy. Along with practising pre natal yoga and breathing exercises that prepare you for birth, these classes explore topics that will increase your potential of achieving a natural and empowering birth. You will practise classical Pregnancy yoga sequences throughout each class. An active birth workbook to accompany the classes for home practice is available to purchase at your first class.
When Do I Start ?
You can start at any stage in your pregnancy. It is recommended to commence the classes in the later part of your 2nd trimester. Even just a few classes will guide you towards a more confident and empowering birth experience. You can cover all the active birth skills over 8 weeks. As the classes cycle round every eight weeks you can start anytime.
What is involved in a class?
As well as exploring Active Birth Skills such as Breathing in Labour, you will be moving in the class, releasing tension from your pelvis and strengthening your buttocks & legs. You will be practicing yoga postures that are relevant to birth like standing, squatting, lunging, all fours and resting postures. Mindfulness and relaxation techniques are included in every class. There is clear evidence that using upright positions in the first stage of labour reduces the duration of labour, the risk of ceasarean birth and the need for an epidural.
The classes are primarily for you to learn the skills involved in birthing your baby naturally. Your partner can attend the Thursday evening class in Auchenflower. Learn the birth skills together and keep healthy by learning mind-body techniques to keep calm, respond creatively, reduce fear and experience of pain, increasing focus and confidence. Simply add them to your account and they can attend on your class pass.
Active birth skills covered over a 8 week cycle
- Relaxation skills
- Optimal baby positioning
- Visualisation in pregnancy & labour
- Breathing for pregnancy, labour & birth
- Vocalisation in labour & birth
- Labour : first stage using active birth positions
- Birth: second stage using upright birth positions
Class schedule (next eight week cycle starts 8th JUNE)
- Tuesdays - 5.15pm - 6.30pm West End
- Wednesdays - 12.30pm - 2.15pm Auchenflower
- Thursdays - 6.00pm-7.15pm Auchenflower (partners welcome ! Attend on your class pass)
- 8 class pass $220 (10 week expiry)*
- Monthly Unlimited $180 (attend both Active Birth & Pregnancy Yoga classes)
- Active Birth Workbook $30 (available at your first class)
- * Any unused classes after your baby's birth date can be used in Mummy & Me Yoga classes. Please notify us when your baby is born.
send an email if you would like to make a specialised booking.
Partner's involvement: Active birth workshop
Our experience has shown that an active birth includes the participation of the birthing woman's partner. As well as booking into the Active Birth Yoga classes for you, it is recommended that your birthing partner attend an Active Birth Workshop (Sunday) with you. The best time to attend an Active Birth Workshop is between 32 and 38 weeks.