Active Birth Yoga
An Active birth is a physiological birth which promotes the long term health of both mother and baby. By participating in our classes you are part of a global movement empowering women to choose how and where they give birth.
When do I Start ?
- You can start at any stage in your pregnancy (recommended from 24 weeks onwards)
- You will cover all the active birth skills over 8 weeks. As the classes cycle round every eight weeks you can start anytime.
- Over 32 weeks? Even just a few classes will guide you towards a more confident and empowering birth experience.
The classes aim is to teach you the skills involved in achieving a physiological birth. Learn evidence based mind-body techniques to keep calm; respond creatively; reduce fear and the experience of pain; & increase your focus and confidence.
Active birth skills covered over a 8 week cycle
- Relaxation & Mindfulness
- Releasing fears & Affirmations
- Optimal baby positioning
- Visualisation in pregnancy & labour
- Breathing for pregnancy, labour & birth
- Vocalisation in labour & birth
- Labour : first stage using active birth positions
- Birth: second stage using upright birth positions
- Doing yoga postures to strengthen and relax you in preparation for birth
- You will practice evidence based birth skills that ease labour - imagine if you knew how to relax in any position so your muscles moved smoothly without resistance
- Active birth skills education and discussion facilitated by childbirth educators
- You will be sent a follow-up email with guided meditations/relaxations, the birth skills learnt in class and additional handouts to read and share with your partner/support team
- Great moral and physical support from other women wanting to learn how to prepare for a physiological birth too
- Mondays 5.45pm-7.00pm Auchenflower
- Tuesdays - 5.15pm - 6.30pm West End
- Wednesdays - 12.30pm - 2.15pm Auchenflower
- $108 for 4 class pass (4 week expiry)
- $198 for 8 class pass (10 week expiry)*
- $145 Monthly Unlimited (Active Birth Yoga & Pregnancy Yoga)
- Email us to arrange a class pass that suits your pregnancy
- * Any unused classes after your baby's birth date can be used in Mums & Bubs Yoga classes. Please notify us when your baby is born.
What about my Partner's involvement?
Our experience has shown that an active birth includes the participation of the birthing woman's partner. As well as booking into the Active Birth Yoga classes for you, it is recommended that your birthing partner attend an Active Birth Workshop or 3hr Private Session.
SAVE with a 10% discount
Try our Active Birth or Private Session bundles with 10% DISCOUNT (includes 8 class pass + a full day workshop or 3hr private session with your birth partner) * Any unused classes after your baby's birth date can be used in Mummy & Me Yoga classes. Please notify us when your baby is born.
Active Birth yoga classes are gentle, safe and beneficial for you and your growing baby. Along with practising pre natal yoga and breathing exercises that prepare you for birth, these classes explore topics that will increase your potential of achieving a natural and empowering birth. You will practise classical Pregnancy yoga sequences throughout each class. An active birth workbook to accompany the classes for home practice is available to purchase at your first class.
"Active Birth is nothing new. Strong intention, relaxed body and an open mind are the main ingredients for an Active Birth." - Janet Balaskas (founder of Active Birth Movement.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN A CLASS ?
As well as exploring Active Birth Skills such as Breathing in Labour, you will be moving in the class, releasing tension from your pelvis and strengthening your buttocks & legs. You will be practicing yoga postures that are relevant to birth like standing, squatting, lunging, all fours and resting postures. Mindfulness and relaxation techniques are included in every class. There is clear evidence that using upright positions in the first stage of labour reduces the duration of labour, the risk of caesarean birth and the need for an epidural.
The classes are primarily for you to learn the skills involved in birthing your baby naturally. Learn active birth skills and keep healthy by learning mind-body techniques to keep calm, respond creatively, reduce fear and the experience of pain, increase focus and confidence.
You can start the active birth yoga course at any stage in your pregnancy. It is recommended to commence the cycle in the later part of your 2nd trimester. However, you can commence at anytime. Even just a few classes will guide you towards a more confident and empowering birth experience. Depending on availability, you can start mid-way through a course and/or finish up when your baby is due.